The initiative reiterates the company’s commitment to conserving biodiversity around its operations
Bhubaneswar, 14th June 2023: Vedanta Aluminium, India’s largest producer of Aluminium, establisheda lush newButterfly Park within its premises at Jharsuguda, Odisha. The park harbours over 100 meticulously curated selections of plant species that will attract and nurture more than 30 rare and exquisite butterfly species such asthe Common Mormon, Zebra Blue and Danaid Eggfly providing them with a nurturing habitat. The Butterfly Park will further play a pivotal role in providing a thriving ecosystem to local flora and fauna such as rare flowering plant species, birds, bees, etc. Through numerous environmental initiatives like the park under its #GreenHearts campaign, Vedanta Aluminium is creating avenues to nurture biodiversity in Jharsuguda, Odisha.
Vedanta Aluminium firmly believes that fostering biodiversity is fundamental to its commitment to achieving ESG (Environment, Social and Governance) excellence and UN Sustainable Development Goals. By adhering to the principles of ‘Lifestyle for Environment – LiFE’ a Government of India initiative, the company implements a comprehensive range of measures to preserve and restore biological diversity around its operations, including habitat restoration and conservation projects for endangered species. Through initiatives such as the Butterfly Park, Vedanta Aluminium is also contributing to the UN SDG, particularly Goal 15: Conserving Life on Land.
Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Sunil Gupta, CEO – Vedanta Aluminium, Jharsuguda, said, “At Vedanta Aluminium, we believe that fostering biodiversity is essential for environmental sustainability,and it aligns with our goals of ESG excellence and sustainable development. We are committed to further strengthening our environmental stewardship in collaboration with the local communities to preserve local flora and fauna. The establishment of Butterfly Park is yet another critical step that bolsters our dedication to preserving local biodiversity. By enhancing the ecosystems with ourconsistent efforts, we strive to contribute to a greener and more sustainable future for all.”
As part of World Environment Week and Biodiversity Week, the company undertook several initiatives in and around its operations under the ambit of its annual, now in its 3rd running year, #GreenHearts campaign:
– City cleanliness drive in Jharsuguda town, in association with the Rotary Club of Jharsuguda
– Awareness programmes on plastic pollution conducted at Asha Kiran, a special education school in Jharsuguda, aiming to educate and inspire young minds to become responsible environmental stewards
– Plantation drive of the vulnerable species Chloroxylon Swietenia
– Employees participated in bicycle rallies and walkathons, representing their commitment towards creating a cleaner and greener environment
– NukkadNataks to help spread awareness about the harmful effects of plastic pollution through the engaging medium of drama and storytelling
– Drawing and fancy-dress competitionsfor children with eco-friendly themes
Through collaborative efforts with local communities, Vedanta Aluminium has successfully planted a large number of trees, increasing the green cover in and around their plant operations and creating substantial carbon sinks in the vicinity of their operations.