New Delhi; 12th April 2022: On World Health Day, Vedanta Aluminium, India’s largest producer of aluminium, organized voluntary blood donation camps across its operations in Odisha and Chhattisgarh to support local government blood banks. Nearly 900 units of blood were donated by employees and business partners across Jharsuguda and Lanjigarh (Kalahandi district) in Odisha, and BALCO in Korba, Chhattisgarh, where the company has its operations.
In Odisha, Vedanta Aluminium conducted a multi-speciality health camp for local communities in Kalahandi district in association with Medicover Hospitals and Vedanta Hospital, Lanjigarh (Kalahandi district), which covered more than 300 people from 35 villages. At Jharsuguda, the company also conducted a special eye check-up camp for vehicle drivers and various health awareness sessions for employees and families, community members and school children.
Speaking about Vedanta Aluminium’s blood donation drive, Mr. Rahul Sharma, CEO –Aluminium Business, Vedanta Ltd., said, “We are glad to play our part in this noble cause that will help our local blood banks in providing timely and effective treatment to patients. Community Health is an important pillar of our social endeavours, and we have deep interventions such as the Vedanta Hospital at Lanjigarh, upcoming Pathology Lab & Diagnostic Centre at Jharsuguda, Mobile Health Units for door-to-door service, health camps, etc. to help improve the quality of life in the region. Beyond health, we are working in the realms of sustainable livelihood, quality education, skill development, women’s empowerment and community infrastructure, to bring about socio-economic transformation in the lives of local communities.”
Appreciating the volunteers’ contribution, Dr. Silwanti Jojo, in-charge of Odisha Red Cross Blood Bank, Jharsuguda, “Blood donation is a humanitarian act, which can go on to save several lives. Mega blood collection drives ensure that rural blood banks are well-stocked to make blood readily available to hospitals during times of need. I commend Vedanta Aluminium’s volunteers for coming forward and creating a positive difference in the community. Their contribution will go on to save many lives in the days to come.”
Vedanta Aluminium provides a wide spectrum of basic and specialized health services in and near its areas of operations in Odisha and Chhattisgarh, such as:
- The BALCO Medical Centre (BMC) is a state-of-the-art multi-modality cancer diagnostic and therapeutic facility hospital in Raipur, Chhattisgarh. The hospital is sought-after for its advanced medical care facilities, renowned oncologists, and compassionate care to the patients.
- BALCO Hospital, Vedanta’s 75-bed super-speciality facility at Korba, is known for its high-quality medical services. The hospital has been awarded with the ISO 9001-2015 certificate for its commitment to excellent management and quality in the field of medicine.
- The Vedanta Hospital at Lanjigarh is a 20-bed multi-specialty medical facility at Lanjigarh, well equipped with doctors, physiotherapists and visiting specialists, and 24X7 ambulance service for referrals.
- Kalahandi has witnessed decrease in the prevalence of malaria due to awareness campaigns run by Vedanta and free of cost health services rendered by the Vedanta Hospital. Over 60,000 people visit the Vedanta Hospital at Lanjigarh every year.
- At Jharsuguda, the company is coming up with an advanced state-of-the-art multispecialty facility – the Vedanta Pathology Lab & Diagnostic Centre, which shall offer over 500 tests and specialized services like Radiology, Mammography, ECG/PFT/TMT, Vision, Digital X-Ray, Audiometry, among others.
- The company operates Mobile Health Units in its areas of operation, providing basic healthcare services to more than 55,000 people in remote villages.
Vedanta Aluminium, a business of Vedanta Limited, is India’s largest manufacturer of aluminium, producing half of India’s aluminium i.e., 1.97 million tonnes in FY21. It is a leader in value-added aluminium products that find critical applications in core industries. With its world-class aluminium smelters, alumina refinery and power plants in India, the company fulfils its mission of spurring emerging applications of aluminium as the ‘Metal of the Future’ for a greener tomorrow.