Lanjigarh, Kalahandi District, Odisha 15th September, 2023: Vedanta Limited’s Lanjigarh unit, India’s premier producer of metallurgical alumina, provides a wide range of basic and specialized health services to the underserved communities in remote regions of Odisha. This year Vedanta Lanjigarh extended its healthcare support to Sibapadar village in Muniguda block of Rayagada district through a mega health camp, reaching out to over 400 patients across 15 villages.
The health camp witnessed check-ups by doctors, free medicines, and specialised tests for monitoring blood pressure, blood sugar and haemoglobin. Moreover, free consultations were provided by paediatric experts to children suffering from malnutrition. The event saw active participation from the Sarpanch, Mr. Prakash Karsika, teachers, and social workers from the region. Specialist doctors from Bhawanipatna offered consultations in Orthopaedics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, etc.
Mr. GG Pal, Dy. CEO – Alumina Business, Vedanta Ltd., said, “Our health initiatives are specifically targeted towards the wellbeing of the community. For instance, the multi-speciality Vedanta Hospital at Lanjigarh was the first-of-its-kind in this region and has been providing free of cost treatment to all the members of the community for over a decade. Through health camps we strive to bring specialized health care to remote regions, thereby improving access to quality healthcare in the region. We are grateful to the Sibapadar panchayat for extending their support for this noble cause.”
Prakash Karsika, Sarpanch, Sibapadar Gram Panchayat, said “Since its establishment, Vedanta Lanjigarh has worked towards bridging the gap in healthcare access in the region. The Vedanta Hospital is one of the best healthcare facilities in the district. The Mobile Health Unit visits and the 24×7 free ambulance service for emergency cases have helped in saving many lives. We are grateful to Vedanta Limited, Lanjigarh for its health interventions.
Vedanta Aluminium provides a wide spectrum of basic and specialized health services in and around its areas of operations in Lanjigarh, including:
- Mobile Health Units (MHUs): The company operates Mobile Health Units in its areas of operation, providing basic doorstep healthcare services, as per a pre-determined schedule to over 22,000 patients from over 65 villages in Kalahandi district
- Nand Ghars: Through its Nand Ghars, which are modernized anganwadis that act as centres of women & child development, Vedanta Aluminium provides quality healthcare and proper nutrition to young children, pregnant women, and new mothers.
- Health camps: The company regularly conducts mega health camps in Lanjigarh with the assistance of medical personnel from government hospitals, providing free-of-cost, quality healthcare in remote parts of Odisha. The health camp initiative in Lanjigarh had more than 4000 unique beneficiaries in FY23 alone
- Sanitation drives: To promote health and hygiene in the community, the company also organises cleanliness & sanitation drives where hygiene practices like handwashing are promoted. Moreover, employee volunteers work with the local populace to clean and disinfect drains & streets to help prevent infectious diseases.
- Vedanta Hospital, Lanjigarh: The Vedanta Hospital at Lanjigarh provides free of cost medical facilities to over 60,000 people across the communities annually
- Cataract Surgeries: The company provided cataract surgeries to over 220 patients in Lanjigarh in FY23