India’s 76th Independence Day : Vedanta Aluminium commits to ‘paanchpran’ for nation’s advancement
Enthusiastic celebrations held at several of its business locations across India
New Delhi;17th August 2022: On India’s 76th Independence Day, Vedanta Aluminium, India’s largest producer of aluminium,commits to proudly upholding the principles of ‘paanchpran’, as employees, business partners, community members and their families join in the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav festivities at its operations in Odisha and Chhattisgarh.
Since inception, Vedanta Aluminium has been a champion of national growth and development, putting India on the world map as a fast-emerging manufacturing powerhouse ofaluminium and its products. The forthcoming decades will see aluminium become the most-consumed metal in the world, given its indispensability in a low-carbon future. As India’s largest producer of aluminium, Vedanta Aluminium plays a critical role in sustaining the lifeblood of critical industries like automobile, construction, electrical, consumer goods and packaging, sunrise sectors such as electric vehicles and solar/renewable energy, as well as high-tech sectors such as aerospaceand aviation.Staying true to its commitment to the paanchpran elucidated by the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India in his Independence Day address to the nation:
· National development:The Indian aluminium industry together contributes up to 2% of India’s manufacturing GDP, creating more than 10 lakh jobs across the value chain and fostering over 4000 SMEs. Vedanta Aluminium alone produces over 50% of India’s aluminium with a diverse array of top-quality products, including low carbon aluminium branded ‘Restora’, that are sought-after in India and globally.
· Freedom from servitude:Establishing new benchmarks in swadeshi manufacturing for theglobal market, Vedanta Aluminium exports premium grade ‘Made in India’ aluminium products to over 35 countries worldwide. Indigenous development of high-end aluminium alloyshelpscurbimports, while investments in deep R&D and innovation capabilitiesbuilds a skilled domestic workforce, enabling the company to cater to India’s growing needs. Fundamentals such as these boost the Vedanta Aluminium family’ssense of pride in their national identity.
· Pride in heritage &legacy: Beyond aluminium, Vedanta Aluminium is working to preserve and promote ancient tribal arts, such as Dhokra, Saura and mural paintings, and sports like archery, which have been a part of India’s rich traditions for eons.
· Strength in unity: The company’s mammoth aluminium operations are run by one of the most diverse workforces, in terms of education, experience and geography, making it a vibrant crucible of ideas and perspectives. This unity of diverse thought processes has enabled the company to be a strong contributor in India’s growth journey.
· Duties as citizens:As a proud corporate citizen of the country,Vedanta Aluminium takes a great sense of responsibility in its role as a nation builder. The organization’s culture infuses its ecosystem of customers, suppliers, employees, families and communities with a deep sense of responsibility in their actions that contribute to the national growth story.
Sharing his thoughts on Vedanta Aluminium’s role in shaping India’s Amrit Kaal, Mr Rahul Sharma, CEO – Vedanta Aluminium, said, “At Vedanta Aluminium, we are on a relentless mission todeliversustainedgrowth for our country, communities and customers.It is a matter of great pride for us to catalyseIndia’s growth story through our aluminium, which finds extensive usage in key growth sectors. Our plants are assets of national importance, that connect remote and underserved regions to the socio-economic mainstream.India’s journey through the Amrit Kaal will also see Vedanta Aluminium ramp up its production and develop new products and alloys to cater to the future needs of a confident and aatmanirbhar Bharat asserting its place on the global stage.”
Independence Day celebrations across the company’s business units included:
· In Bhubaneswar,Odisha, Vedanta Aluminium partnered with the Swami Sivananda Centenary School to distribute flags to 600students in support of the ‘Har Ghar Tiranga’ campaign.
· At Jharsuguda in Odisha,where the company operates one of the world’s largest aluminium smelters, celebrations were organised at 14 Nand Ghars,which are anganwadis modernised by Vedanta tobecome centres of woman and child development.Young pupilsperformedat cultural programs and participated in a flag hoisting ceremony. Self-Help Groups supported by the companyalsocontributed by stitching and distributing over 4000 national flags to community members.
· At BALCO in Chhattisgarh, India’s celebrated and iconic producer of aluminium in Chhattisgarh, the teams presented tableaus themed on Independence Day at the company township. A flag hoisting ceremony was also organised at the plant location, while flags were distributed to all employees and family members.
· In Lanjigarh, Odisha, flag hoisting ceremonies were organized at the Vedanta Hospital and the VedantaSakhi project office, twoinitiativesthat are actively drivingaccess to quality healthcare and sustainable livelihood opportunities respectively within the region.
· At Lakshmipur in Rayagada district of Odisha, a football tournament was organised for local youth, while sweets and flags were distributed in Jamkhani (Sundargarh district) to 650 students.
Vedanta Aluminium, a business of Vedanta Limited, is India’s largest producer of aluminium, manufacturing more than half of India’s aluminium i.e., 2.26 million tonnes in FY22. It is a leader in value-added aluminium products that find critical applications in core industries. Vedanta Aluminium ranks 4th in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) 2021 world rankings for aluminium industry, a reflection of its sustainable development practices. With its world-class aluminium smelters, alumina refinery and power plants in India, the company fulfils its mission of spurring emerging applications of aluminium as the ‘Metal of the Future’ for a greener tomorrow. www.vedantaaluminium.com